Subject Information

    Back to Subjects

    PE

    "Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe."

    Gail Devers

    At DGGS all pupils participate in a broad and balanced curriculum designed to promote positive interest and enjoyment in Physical activity to promote health and fitness for current and future lifestyles.

    Staff

    Mrs N. Guy (Subject Leader and Healthy Schools Coordinator),

    Mrs S. McDermott

    Miss G. Riley

    Mrs S. Dare

    pe@dggs.kent.sch.uk

    Key Stage 3 Curriculum

    Students have 1 hour and 40 minutes of core PE every week where girls take part in a range of activities, including:

    Year 7                                Year 8                                Year 9

    Football                              Football                              Football

    Netball                                Netball                                Netball

    Fitness                               Fitness                               Fitness

    Gymnastics                        Tag Rugby                         Tag Rugby

    Tag Rugby                         Gymnastics                        Gymnastic Vaulting

    Dance x 2                           Volleyball                           Volleyball

    Athletics                             Cricket                                Tennis

    Rounders                           Athletics                             Athletics

    Cricket                                Rounders                           Rounders

    Tennis                                Tennis                                Cricket

    OAA

    In Year 7, all students participate in a year-long programme of Performing Arts where dance

    specialists DAPA teach dance skills, techniques and styles as well as singing and acting skills.  The year culminates in The Year 7 Dance Show performed to parents and the whole school – an event looked forward to by all.

    Key Stage 4 students have 1 hour and 40 minutes of core PE a week.  Students undertake the Level 1 Sports Leaders Award course in curriculum lessons across the 2 years, gaining valuable communication and organisational skills.  This is a nationally recognised qualification.  Alongside this course, students participate in a range of team and individual activities:

    Year 10                          Year 11

    Football                          Football

    Volleyball                       Volleyball

    Table Tennis                  Tag Rugby

    Netball/Umpiring            Netball

    Tag Rugby                     Badmington

    Benchball                       Table Tennis

    Rounders                       Rounders

    Athletics                         Fitness

    Tennis

    Fitness

    Key Stage 4 students can also opt to take GCSE PE (Short Course) as an Extended Schools Subject.  The department teaches the Edexcel syllabus and we have a high number of students obtaining top grades each year.

    The A Level PE course is delivered in curriculum time and follows the AQA Syllabus. The content is divided into 3 broad areas: Sports Psychology and Skill Acquisition; Sport and Society; Applied Anatomy and Physiology. This forms 70% of the course and the remaining 30% consists of a coursework project (worth10%) and assessment of a chosen sport for performance or coaching roles.

    Students can access a range of learning resources which are available online and in the PE student area on the school network.

    The department has a ‘sport for all’ ethos and all girls are encouraged to attend clubs whatever their level of ability.  DGGS has a strong tradition for competitive sport and competes regularly at district and county level.  In recent years DGGS has had success in regional and national finals in a number of activities.  We offer an extensive extra-curricular programme at lunchtimes and​ afterschool.  DGGS also arranges regular Inter-House competitions to fully engage all pupils in competition.

    Indoor facilities include a gymnasium and school hall.  Outdoors we have multi- purpose playground area containing 4 netball courts and 5 tennis courts.  The school utilises The Danes Recreational Fields for football, athletics, cricket and rounders.  PE forms a key part of the school House competition system.  We organise Inter- House events in  Tag-Rugby, Rowing, Netball, Athletics, Tennis, Dance, Benchball and Rounders.

    The department coordinates a range of leadership opportunities for students from a variety of age groups.  The Dover Games Organiser for Primary schools gain competent and skilled leaders to enable a full schedule of festivals and events to run across each academic year.

    Your browser is out-of-date!

    Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

    ×