27th Jul 2018
A LEVEL Results
Dover Girls is celebrating once again this year with an impressive set of A Level results. Students saw their hard work and dedication pay off, rewarding them with academic success and the grades necessary to go to the universities of their choice in the Autumn.
The school celebrates the second highest set of results in recent years with 60% of grades awarded being A* to B. 41 students achieved grades of ABB or higher and 9 students achieved A’s or A*s across the board, meeting the rigorous school targets for their cohort.
Headteacher Mr Robert Benson stated:
“I am really pleased for all our students who have taken A Level exams this year and would like to congratulate them all on their results success.
“Not only have they showed their academic ability by gaining grades fully in line with our high expectations, they have done this while contributing fully to the life of the school. Our students leave DGGS with confidence, leadership and a love of learning and complement these with A Level results which will open doors to their future.
“I would like to thank both students and staff for their hard work and contribution to this excellent outcome.”
DGGS students have impressed universities with their diverse skills and have received an unprecedented 27 unconditional offers and acceptance onto a wide range of courses including: Law, Engineering, Nursing, Robotics, English, Maths, Criminology, Paramedic Science, Marine Biology and Primary Education. Some students have also chosen to follow an apprenticeship route, including one in the Media and others will soon embark on Foundation Art courses at UCA.
3 students have successfully gained places at Cambridge University to read Geography, Philosophy and English Literature following their impressive results and all students are looking forward to beginning the next stage of their education.
GCSE students at Dover Grammar School for Girls are once again celebrating their success at GCSE this year. Despite the additional challenge of the new style GCSE courses, and the change to a numerical grading system which allocated an additional Grade 9 for the very top levels of achievement, students have continued to excel.
This year’s results see 98% of students achieving 5 or more standard passes including English and Maths with 79% of students achieving strong passes. Furthermore, there were 83 grades at the new top Grade 9. Early indications suggest that there are strong progress scores in a range of subjects, in particular English, and the Ebacc subject group.
Academic successes include:
Georgia Amos whose grades include three Grade 9 and three Grade 8; Rosie Day (four Grade 9 and five Grade 8); Jasmine Rogers (seven Grade 9, two Grade 8 and one A*); Mollie Ellis (four Grade 9, three Grade 8 and one A*) and Vivien Hardy who, in addition to three Grade 9, 3 Grade 8, and two A Grades, goes forward with a scholarship from the prestigious Arkwright Scholarship Award for Engineering.
The school is also very proud of students who have made significant academic progress. These include Holly Morris, Niamh Doherty and Sannah Dyer to name a few.
Headteacher, Robert Benson, said:
“I am thrilled to see our students making a success of the new GCSE courses. This is a fantastic set of results and one to celebrate. This year 65% of our GCSE students were awarded at least one Grade 8 or 9. Our students have worked incredibly hard to achieve their grades and have been supported fully by our staff to achieve their academic potential. I am very proud of all their accomplishments.
“The vast majority of students will continue to study at the school and, joined by many new students, will embark on our new 3+ offer which seeks to provide students with a vibrant, challenging and personalised post 16 offer. These GCSE results will open many doors for our students and I look forward to seeing them grasp the challenge of Post 16 with both hands.”
- Curriculum Overview
- Key Stage 4 Options
- Subject Information
- Reporting and Assessment
- Extra Curricular, Trips & Activities
- Congratulations to our Head of English, Mrs Claire Hill, for getting her article 'Designing a Coherent English Curriculum' published in @CharteredColl magazine. An excellent piece! https://t.co/UyUwGnEByU
- Amazing results for one of our Y9 students who competed in the summer holidays at @equifest, Having a very successful week being placed high in all classes. On the final day she won the BSPA 85cm Working Hunter class which put her forward to the championship. Congratulations!🐎 https://t.co/s7jW9xEjbA
- Attendance OfficerAdministration at Dover Grammar School for Girls, DOVER https://t.co/lVYFaIbhwz
- Congratulations to all of our students celebrating their success at GCSE this year. Despite the additional challenge of the new style GCSE courses, and the change to a numerical grading system our students have continued to excel! Well done to you all!! #GCSE https://t.co/eoWmBxrrij
- Well done to all of our students who have taken A Level exams this year, we would like to congratulate them all on their results. Hard work and dedication has paid off. We wish them all well for the future! #University #Apprenticeship #Employment https://t.co/beVmafd8ek
- Just a reminder, Stevenson's will be in school selling uniform on Monday 6th August from 10 am - 2 pm.
- 🌞Hope all our students and staff have an amazing and relaxing summer break! Keep safe and see you all in September!! 🌞
- Amazing end to the academic year, celebrating the Arts as a DGGS community. Hugely grateful to Fiona Banks, Producer at @marlowetheatre , for judging the competition, crowning Queen Ethelburga as winners! #DGGSEnrichment #DGGSdrama #MarloweTheatre https://t.co/IGS4bfwd7Q
- Y10 Business students working on business topic films. All the students produced awesome videos, showing excellent knowledge and creativity! #DGGSEnrichment https://t.co/XPYqytcmRz
- Our Wellbeing Coach, Jennie Cooper, ran sessions for our Y9 & Y10 students. Allowing them to explore issues around resilience, change and presentation skills. Thank You Jennie for running these sessions! #DGGSEnrichment #WellbeingMatters https://t.co/0ZLDBYcSM7
- We are delighted to announce that we have been awarded MAIN CONTRACTOR status for the new state-of-the-art science block at Dover Grammar School for Girls in #Kent @DGGS_Info #education #Construction https://t.co/GT3Cm3cSmf